The Rock Candids and Report from Gordyville Spring Fling
The ILQHA Gordyville Spring Fling wrapped up Sunday with just under 9,500 total entries. There were 7 days of showing over a 9-day span with a total of 10 judges. The show gave away 12,500 in prize money, Circuit Awards, All Around Trophies and motorized scooters for the Overall All-Arounds. There was a pizza party, a bouncy horse race, donuts for breakfast, a booze and bid party and even a milk and cookies party. What more could you want? Michael Colvin, Gretchen Mathes, Rob Meneely, and Chris Thompson judged the second half of the show.
This second weekend was the Illinois Quarter Horse Youth Association Show. The youth did a wonderful job getting every class sponsored and getting gorgeous gift baskets for their auction to benefit the ILQHYA. They also raised money through the $200 added Bouncy Horse Calcutta. This money will help the youth as they prepare to go to the World show this summer. Youth Director, Jamie Murrow said, “I have been really impressed with how hard everyone has worked, both the kids and the show moms we have this year. This is a really special group and it shows in how motivated they are and in how they treat each other”.
The youth also voted for the Tyler Auth Sportsmanship award. It was a really beautiful presentation with the award going to Taylor O’Boyle. Taylor is the daughter of Thad and Kim O’Boyle. Taylor can often be seen helping out at Gordyville, passing out awards and supporting the other kids. Her love for the horses and happy presence is appreciated and loved by the Illinois Youth.
The first $2,500 NSBA Level 1 Trail Slot Class was another highlight of the weekend. Congratulations to Chillin Ona Dirt Road and Melissa Jones, riding for owner Klair Merrell. They took home a check for $1,233 and other prizes. Melissa said she has just started working the gelding in trail over the last few months. “He just naturally wants to be careful and keeps getting better.” He is also showing in the Youth All Around with his owner, Klair Merrell.
Jessica Baird and her mare, Cool Lopin Lady took home the win and $329 in the $500 added Showmanship Slot Class. Willow is by Lazy Loper and out of Jessica’s mare, Cool Movin Lady. “It has been really cool seeing her as a baby and then getting to do the All Around with her,” Jessica said.
The last of the slot classes, the $500 Added Horsemanship Slot Class was won by Alexandrea Albright and The Best Gift Yet. The pair took home $238 and was reserve champion in the Showmanship Slot Class.
View the slot class results below.
Trail Slot Class
1. Chillin Ona Dirt Road Melissa Jones Klair Merrell $1233.52
2. HP Prime Time Jason Gilliam Kaleena Weakly $979,56
3. An Innocent Cowboy Jeff Greaves Amy Wilhelm $725.60
4. I Am Batt Man Jennifer Paul Tera Gore $362.80
5. Earn An Invitation Alex Sifuentes Patricia Bogosh $326.52
Showmanship Slot Class
1. Cool Lopin Lady Jessica Baird $329.60
2. Best Gift Yet Alexandrea Albright $226.60
3. Sure A Hot Krymsun Lydia Brahler $195.70
5. Lazy Lookin Lady Morgan Brickham $92.70
6. Ima Tuff Barpasser Caroline Fredenburg $82.40
7. Earn An Invitation Patricia Bogosh
8. Invitation By Choice Rachel Nissen
9. One Hot Shade Of Gray Chayna DeNicolo
10. My Details Are Hot Luann Meyer
1. SH Counting Stars Kara Flentje
Horsemanship Slot Class
1. Best Gift Yet Alexandrea Albright $238
2. One Hot Big Leaguer Elizabeth Forney $189
3. Earn An Invitation Patricia Bogosh $140
4. One Kool Fool Nicole Barnes $70
5. Aint I Sumthin Thad O’Boyle $63
6. Ima Tuff Barpasser Caroline Fredenburg
7. Krymsun N Gold Bethany Valentine
8. Mr Class Action Brittany Urwin
1. Venture Assets Brianna Merklin